Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Cooler Weather Fashion + Favorites

If I had to choose my favorite time of the year to dress it would be Fall. Not the "it's not cold but not hot" phase but the "it's cold but not freezing" phase.

If I had to describe my style in one word it'd be: simple. My ideal outfit and one I would wear if I had to choose one for the rest of my life would be a white tee and dark skinny jeans. I've always been a girly/preppy dresser. For a short stint of time I tried to be somewhat "hipster" because that was the trend but it just wasn't me. I never felt confident. I think the most important thing when it comes to your style is to find what you feel the most confident in and go with that. It also makes getting ready in the mornings SO much easier.

I'm a layer nut. Which is why I love Fall. It's hard to layer in the Summer without becoming a sweaty mess. That white tee and jean combo I love? Still works when it's cold. Add a vest, jacket, scarf, boots, and go. Basics are your friend. Invest in them and wear them different ways.

Here are some staples I'm loving for Fall and my favorite ways to wear them with the basics that are already in your closet.

Plaid & Gingham
Plaid isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Plaid has become a neutral. It goes with anything and can be worn however you like- whether it's around your waste or around your neck.

Vests
I really hate wearing jackets. Especially when you're just going to be running around. No one wants to lug a jacket around. Enter vests.

Cardigans
Again with the alternative to a jacket. Cuter and still warm.

Boots
You can't have a Fall outfit without boots. I wait all year long to break these babies out. If you're going to get one pair of boots, I'd grab a pair of camel color boots. The color goes with black or brown, they're clean, and pull any outfit together. I have to say I turned my nose up to those "duck boots" that started appearing last year. After all this rain, they're next on my list!

Leather
Okay. I know I said I don't like jackets. When I do wear a jacket, it's normally leather (unless it's 20 degrees or I'm skiing then I'll bring out the puffer jacket). I know leather can be scary, especially the pants BUT if done right, I think they look great!

So when you're out shopping, grab a few things that can be paired with many other things. I try not to buy a lot of "trendy" items because next season they'll be out so invest in a few of these things that are classic and will stick around for a while. P.S. I don't think plaid is going anywhere so all you hipster kiddos and student pastors are good.to.go. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment