Friday, October 9, 2015

Simple Fall Decor + Tips

I love Spring and Summer decor; bright, airy, and colorful. But my favorite is when the holidays roll around; warm, comfy, and cozy. I don't go crazy when it comes to decorating for Fall like I do when I decorate for Christmas but a few things here and there can make a home feel more warm when the weather gets cooler. I've had some people Facebook message me about decorating for Fall and wanting some tips and tricks so I thought I'd share some here.

I love our house and I think the best part about this house is the fire place & mantle. However, if you don't have a fireplace and a mantle, hang an expensive floating shelf on a focal wall and decorate around it. You could also add some bookshelves to an empty space and decorate those as you would a mantle.

For our mantle, we have these signs from this etsy shop that stay there year round.

  • Add some inexpensive seasonal flowers. We get ours from Hobby Lobby when they're 50% off. 
  • Pictures that match the season. You could use beach pictures in the Summer or Christmas pictures during the holidays 
  • A seasonal banner. Chalkboard ones are my favorite because you can just change the wording with the seasons. I find a lot of my banners in the Target dollar spot section.
  • Candles; they're good all the time :)




Chalkboards are the greatest form of decoration because they're universal and you can change them up as often as you'd like. I make all of mine from thrift store frames and some chalkboard paint.


If you have a computer on display anywhere in your house, change up the screensaver!


 Have a serving tray? Throw some season decor in them and set them out somewhere! Baskets and bowls work, too! I have so many salad bowls and punch bowls from our wedding that hardly ever get used so I fill them with things: pumpkins, pinecones, sticks, seasonal fillers, etc.



The buffet in our dining room normally keeps the same decor on it but again, changing up the chalkboard sayings and adding some flowers gives a simple, easy, and cheap touch that can change with the seasons.


Another banner from the Target dollar spot for the win. For the wreath it's only a styrofoam wreath wrapped with burlap and fake flowers hot glued to it. Cheap and simple.


 I don't hate spending money on decor but I hate spending A LOT of money on decor that will only be displayed for a few months or so. I try to DIY what I can and use what I have in my house already. I also try to buy things that I can tweak for any season - like mason jars for example or lanterns. You can fill them with things depending on what you are decorating for.

Seriously though, the Target dollar spot is your BEST FRIEND when seasons come around. You can spruce up your entire house for a few bucks and then you don't feel bad when you have to pack it away.

I hope this was helpful and gave you some ideas for sprucing up your house just a little bit for Fall! Happy decorating!

1 comment: