Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Where's Your Joy?

When we were in Jamaica, the Lord spoke to me concerning where my joy was coming from. I shared with the group, very bluntly with no sugar on top, that I didn't want to be there. I told them that I was there because my husband wanted me there. Don't get me wrong, I love Harmons. I love the people, the culture, the work...(sometimes...;) and the food isn't half bad ;) We went two years ago and the experience, then, is still one that I haven't forgotten. 

So, why didn't I want to go? A little body with a big personality was here at home and I had to leave her. Not only leave her but give up 99% of communication with her. I had people telling me, "you're BOTH leaving her here?" As if I was going to leave her in the house alone for a whole week. Then, satan in all of his cleverness was whispering..."what a bad mom". Shaking him off, and not easily, I boarded the plane to Jamaica.

Sometimes the Lord speaks through people and sometimes He speaks through the beating of your chest. In this case, it was both. The thing about the Jamaican people is this: their Joy comes from the Lord. Now, as American Christians we think, "duh". But is that really where our joy comes from? If I had to guess, your joy comes from: 1. Things 2. People 3. The Lord...as does mine.

When spending time with the people in Harmons, there's no question about where they find their joy. They sing hymns while they work, they take breaks to tell you their story of how Jesus has changed their life, they ask you to read scripture to them, and they ask to pray for YOU (the American "with it all"). Now, my sinful mind would ask the same thing you're thinking: Jesus is ALL they have to find joy in; but, shouldn't He be all that WE need, as well? Just because they don't have the resources that we have in America doesn't mean that they automatically put Him first. They choose to find their Joy in Jesus.

I say that to say this. My joy, lately, as been found in people. Brooklynn, in particular, with all her mood swings and strong-willed ways. But even she, as an almost 15-month year old, let's me down daily. If my joy is found in her, I will always lack the joy that I need.

This morning I read this,
Where do the saints get their joy? If we did not know some Christians well, we might think from just observing them that they have no burdens at all to bear. But we must lift the veil from our eyes. The fact that the peace, light, and joy of God is in them is PROOF that a burden is there as well. The burden that God places on us squeezes the grapes in our lives and produces the wine, but most of us see only the wine and not the burden. No power on earth or in hell can conquer the Spirit of God living within the human spirit; it creates an inner invincibility. If your life is producing only a WHINE, instead of the WINE, then ruthlessly kick it out. It is definitely a crime for a Christian to be weak in God's strength. -Oswald Chambers
Nehhemiah 8:10 says, ...The joy of the LORD is your strength.

Jesus will give you unconditional JOY not conditional happiness.

Do we produce WHINE or WINE?

Harmons Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment