Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Asleep in the Dark

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints..." Eph 1:18

I'm not a sleeper. By that I mean that it takes me 3 hours awhile to fall asleep at night. However, it's a whole lot easier for me to fall asleep in the dark...as opposed to trying to fall asleep with the lights on. Isn't that how we function spiritually sometimes? Our eyes become so adjusted to the dark that we fall asleep, lose hope, and our vision becomes blurred.

I'm not usually one to have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night but I have before. You walk into the bathroom, turn on the lights, and suddenly you cover your eyes and get a headache (at least I do!) That's how we become. Desensitized to the light. It takes time to re-focus and get on track as to where we should be heading. That being said, we shouldn't expect life-change overnight. I see this a lot working with students. We expect them to go from sleeping in the dark to walking focused in the light right away. On rare occasion it does happen but on more than one occasion it takes a lot of time and guidance. Sometimes we need to move gradually from the flicker of a candle burning to a light switch. So don't give up hope on those you love still asleep in the darkness. People need people. People need us to help guide them to and through the light.

For those of us that are asleep, remember that we have the riches of his glorious inheritance. He's called us to be awakened with life.

"You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light." Ps. 18:28

No comments:

Post a Comment