Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Polycystic Ovarian what?

**I hesitated sharing this because I don't want people "worrying" about me or constantly asking me how my female organs are doing. But, we talked a lot in my junior and senior girls hometeam last night about letting people in on our struggles and not trying to pretend that things are "good" all the time. So, this I share with you :)

Upon moving to Charlotte I knew I had to find a doctor! Might I add I hate going anywhere where there are doctors (except our hometeam because I love you, Emily! ;)) But all doctor's offices, dentist offices, even nursing homes give me this feeling that something is gnawing at my insides. It's kinda pathetic. But, I mustered enough courage to ask my good friends here where they went and I was able to find a doctor that is absolutely and ridiculously awesome, which I didn't have in my previous doctor!

So, enough with my view of doctor's offices and onto the point of my visit! Guys, this may be too much FYI for you, so I'm giving you ample time as I ramble on and on and on right this very second to exit out of this blog! But for you real men, keep reading if you want ;) Haha! I'll try to be classy in my word-choice for you!

On a cheery day in the 7th grade, mother nature decided to pay me a visit and she did so with almost hospitalizing me. The sickness was bad and ever since that day it has been. Also, ever since that day, it has decided to come and go as it pleases and not every 28ish days like it's supposed to. Anywho, it's been since December since she has graced me with her presence, (which while some of you are freaking out about this, it's very normal for me), but I knew that if we ever wanted kids of our own, I should probably get my system in order. So, yesterday, I marched myself on up to my new doctor's office
(and side note, I'm awful with finding new establishments on my own so I drove and drove and drove looking for a cute little doctor's office before I called a friend and she told me I actually had to go IN the hospital...thanks, Casey. Then I freaked out. "Not in the hospital" I thought. "Where's my husband when I need him!?" (not that I would drag him with me:)) 
I finally found where I was supposed to go and all was good on the home-front. The second I started explaining my mother nature background to my doctor she wasn't shocked (which was a first) she simply nodded her head put her hand on my knee and said, "you probably have poidfpadf djapfh adpfhdps disease". At least that's what I heard her say. She really said, "polycystic ovarian disease." She started drawing me a diagram and writing all this stuff that didn't really mean anything to me on a sheet of paper. All I wanted to know was, "Ok, that's cool, how do we fix it? Let's skip the small talk and give me some meds." Though it wasn't that simple. She ran some normal tests, drew my blood, gave me an ultrasound to look at my ovaries and came to this conclusion: I have a lot of cysts on my ovaries which explains all of my stomach pains over the last year (my ovaries look like chocolate chip cookies instead of sugar cookies :)), I do not produce enough hormones to ovulate which in term means I wouldn't be able to carry a child on my own. Now, normally this would have freaked me out and sent me spinning. But I was okay. I had a peace knowing that His plan is better than my own and maybe He has something else in store for our future family. BUT, the doctor said I should be able to carry a child one day if I took the right medications now. (she also said the medication gave us a higher possibility for twins so I asked her to give me a different medication, haha..just joking). So, for now, I'm on three prescriptions and prenatal vitamins (that keep me in the bathroom all day, too much to know, I know) and I will go back for evaluation next month.

I left feeling like I had gone spinning in a clothes dryer and though I wanted the problem fixed on the spot without all the details, and though I know this "disease" is nothing compared to many that struggle with infertility because medicine can help re-route it, I was appreciative knowing why my body has been acting the way it has for the last few years. A lot of times we don't want the journey of life we just want the conclusion. I'm determined to enjoy the journey. I'm determined not to avoid the present by worrying about the future or longing for a better time and place and rest in the fact that everything we endure can be put to good use because it trains us in trusting our God.

Enjoying the journey,

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely be praying for you, sweet Chrissie! Love from Aiken...

    ReplyDelete